Sunday, February 03, 2019

Torque-Master Challenge 2019

After completing the "Torque Feeler" / "It's All in the Wrist" Conceptual Physics Lab Manual activity, we add the Torque-Master Challenge.

We again repurpose our five-foot aluminum tube from the Pasco Scientific Lenz's Law Demonstration set. Sometimes we use it as a blow gun. Sometimes we use it for examples of resonance. This time, we tie an ordinary 500-mL water bottle to the end. Challengers must hold the arrangement level for ten seconds.

Over the years, I have found that very few of my students can do this. I can, and I am not young, cut, ripped, or chiseled. And I do not lift. I mean, look at me in the video. Honestly!

Torque-Master Challenge 2019


Why I can do this while so few of my students can is a mystery I have no answer to. Now that I think of it, though, very few of them can match my speed when we use this tube as a blow gun. I have no explanation.

When we find students cannot match my blow gun speed, I admonish all of them to quit smoking!

No comments: