Sunday, September 09, 2007

It happened

It was really just a matter of time. It happens to a lot of teachers. I'm not the first and I won't be the last. But at Back-to-School Night this past week, I got official word.

I am now teaching the child of one of my former students. I am officially an old campus fixture at Rio Americano.

One of our chemistry teachers and one of our social studies teachers were students of mine. Those are no big deal. A matter of a few years is all that kind of thing takes.

But teaching the child of a former student takes some time to develop. Roughly twenty years, give or take a few. So as I begin my twenty-second year at Rio, I suppose I was--if anything--overdue.

Oh well, getting old is the best thing that can happen to you. Which reminds me I have a birthday coming up in less than a month. D-oh!

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Which ones did you teach before?

Dean Baird said...

None. Hence the post.

Anonymous said...

"One of our chemistry teachers and one of our social studies teachers were students of mine."

Dean Baird said...

Oh, the teachers! That'd be Mr. Montbriand and Ms. Thomas.

Anonymous said...

Wait until you have one of the GRANDCHILDREN of one of your ex-students! (I retired shortly thereafter - sometimes you need a "sign from above" to nudge you down the road).

Dean Baird said...

The grandchild thing has happened to one of our venerable English teachers, too. She'll be retiring soon, I fear. Chased out by the new CLAD requirement as much as anything else.

Anonymous said...

Were the teachers good students? :P