Thursday, June 16, 2011

AAPT workshop and contributed talk

If you're headed for Nebraska to frolic with fellow physics friends this summer please come see me! The American Association of Physics Teachers will be meeting July 30-August 3 at Creighton University and the Doubletree by Hilton in Omaha.

My friend, Matt Lowry, and I will be presenting "Skepticism in the Classroom," W42, Sunday, July 31 from 1pm to 5pm in HLSB 523. We will present a variety of lessons, appropriate for the physics classroom, that focus on the skeptical and critical thinking nature of science. Some lessons involve obvious physics content; some bring in examples from the real world. Participants will leave with ready-to-use lessons (video clips and student worksheets) and resources designed to bring healthy, scientific skepticism to their classrooms. Topics will include firewalking, ghosts and angels, balance bracelets, the credulity of local media, and more.

I'll be presenting a talk on Tuesday, August 2 at 2:15pm in the SS Ballroom F. It's part of session EJ: Recruiting Students to High School Physics, which begins at 1:15pm. My presentation is EJ03, "One Mad Man's Campus Campaigns." The abstract: In good times you should advertise, in bad times you must. As the son of an advertiser and a marketer, I have always valued advertising as a recruitment tool. As a high school physics teacher, I have been motivated to maintain or increase my "market share" each year. I have used "dog and pony shows," personalized direct mail campaigns, and a variety of flyer and poster designs. I will detail the relative efficacy of the various campaigns and share specific designs and slogans I have used over the years.

I hope to see you in Omaha.

No comments: