Saturday, May 08, 2010

AAPT Summer Meeting in Portland: Workshop W18

Last year's AAPT Summer Meeting was held in my fair college town of Ann Arbor. I'm not sure what the Committee on Physics in High Schools did to offend the scheduling team, but the committee meeting was held at 7:15am. That's just wrong!

While brainstorming ideas for potential workshops to be run at the 2010 Portland Meeting, I posited one focused on the "weird days" at school: the first day of school, back-to-school night, and open house in particular.

The committee approved it and now I'm on the workshop schedule:
W18: What To Do About the First Day of School & Other Events. (Scroll down to W18.) It will be held Saturday, July 17, 1-5pm somewhere on campus at Portland State University.

I've worked out my own solutions to these potentially problematic special events and will share resources. But I'm also keen to learn of the solutions that others have worked out.

Looks like two physics teachers have already signed up for it. Hurry before the other 30 spaces are taken! Some workshops already have five signups as of this posting.

I'm looking forward to it. I've never hosted an AAPT meeting workshop, and it's always fun to spend time with other physics teachers talkin' shop.

No comments: